Sunday, March 6, 2011

Summary

3 Things I Learned
  1. I learned that the three justifications for imperialism were racism, Social Darwinism, and ethnocentrism (I also learned what each of those things is).
  2. I learned that the "White Man's Burden" was for Europeans to impose their practices on supposedly primitive nonwhites.
  3. I learned that most countries only became imperialistic because they wanted the best trade options in the world.
2 Things That I Found Interesting
  1. I thought it was interesting that there was also a White Woman's Burden, which was basically the same as the men's but it applied to how women should act.
  2. I thought it was interesting that Pear's Soap could run ads like they did (the baby being cleaned in the tub) and nobody thought that it was offensive.
1 Question I Still Have
  1. If the people of the colonies were being treated so badly, why were there not more uprisings?


No comments:

Post a Comment